Bjamexza Q. Pyndejo / James O. Payne, Jr. (bxiie) wrote,
Bjamexza Q. Pyndejo / James O. Payne, Jr.

I had two chest pain calls last night.

I was actually with the FD, driving the chief's pickup truck to a neighboring town to go check out some cribbing that the FD there just bought. As we were pulling into town, I heard our transport agency sign onto the dispatch channel. I realized we were about to get toned for a medical call. The tone came just as we were pulling into the parking lot at the other FD; elderly male with chest pain. Conveniently, I had thrown my bags into the back of the chief's truck when he asked me to drive his truck so we were set to go direct to the scene.

We pulled through the parking lot and back onto the street. The chief told me that I was fine as long as I kept between the white lines. We made it back to town quite quickly and went to the scene.

The patient had a classic cardiac presentation; anxious, sweaty. Another FD EMT, Mrs. T., had been behind us at the other FD and so was on-scene immediately. We started the patient on O2 and started asking questions. Blah, blah, blah. It was pretty cool having my intermediate knowledge, if not the ability to use my skills. I felt like I had a much better handle on what was going on.

The ambulance arrived and we put the patient on the bus. I got in to observe the IV start. The lead transport EMT that was on the call is usually a jerk and generally ignores us FD EMTs; I was surprised that when I got ready to get out he asked me to go to the hospital with them. I guess he was worried the guy was about to arrest; the patient did have that look about him.

We got about two blocks away when I heard the chief over the radio in the ambulance say, "Bx, are you going on this one with us?" Then I heard someone mention a nearby street. I had the ambulance pull over and I jumped out, then ran over to the scene of the new call. It was also chest pain.

Mrs. T. and I worked this call for as long as it took the ambulance to get to the hospital, drop off the previous patient, and return; twenty-five minutes or so. Luckily, the guy was quite stable and I wasn't worried that he was going to code. It was a sensitive call in that it was a relative of a firefighter; the patient's mom and the ff's grandmom (the same person) had died that morning, so there was some stress going on. Anyway, Mrs. T. and I did our thing until the ambulance got back, then helped load the patient. I again observed the IV start (a bit messy, I thought). This time, when I left the rig, the lead EMT did not ask me to stay, so I think that he agreed with my assessment that the guy was stable.

I've had only four medical calls since I got out of intermediate school, over a month. I guess fate must think I'm too well prepared right now to bother giving me calls, though I'd like to be exercising my skills and cementing my knowledge.

  • BxiieVision Studios

    I've set up a new web site for my art.

  • Hiatus

    This is a link to a set on SoundCloud. The set is comprised of songs that I like from the time that XenophoN stopped playing until a year or so ago.…

  • Wow. Just wow.

    Last night I noticed that one of my FEMA deployment bags was missing from my home office; I had last seen it Saturday when I used the GPSr from the…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.